Get out of here! That’s what I think I need to focus on. For most of my adult life, I’ve allowed my circumstances dictate much of my attitude and countenance. I know that it always leads to weak leadership, poor attitudes, bad decisions and wounded relationships. And yet, it is still my daily battle. I’m learning to identify what stands between the best me I can be, and the less than ideal me…and then speak affirmations and truth into my shortfall. In other words, I’m learning to say to every overwhelmed, stressed out thought – GET OUT OF HERE!
Maybe you are one of those strong-willed, mind-over-matter kind of daily warriors that always overcomes your circumstances. Good for you! I. AM. NOT.
Over the past year, I’ve become a passionate student of a better daily life. I started this quest because I was so weary of being exhausted each evening, often late for most appointments (still a work in progress), less focused than optimal, and less productive than desired. The hunt began. O my stars, there are so many folks that have a plan for your life at only three payments of $99 each! I found workshops, online courses, life coaches, and so many options. I found very few tools that fit what I was attempting to address.
However, I did learn these five things that are definitely reshaping my productivity, leadership, relationships, and happiness. I’m discovering more and better emotional, spiritual and, physical health. What are these amazing five learnings you ask? I fear you will be disappointed, as there are no magic pills or potions. here are my 5 Learnings for a Better Daily Grind.
- Health – This is my war. Years of athletics, then years of parenting, blending families, ministry leadership changes, growing more sedentary,and eating poorly left me in a desperately poor state of health. The plan? Get to a doctor and get a real check-up. When your bloodwork, heart scans, exams and sleep studies are complete; build a collaborative plan to get healthy with your doctor. I am still working through a multi-year plan that is addressing these challenges: Sleep – If you aren’t getting a minimum of 7 hours of sleep – fix it. Most insurance plans cover sleep studies, and they are worth it! This is a game changer! Water – My goal, for my body type and age, is one gallon of water every day. Not liquid – water. I’m confident that this has been a key to my better daily grind. Activity – Move more. Don’t go all Ironman, tribal, kill yourself, no pain-no gain on this. Walk everyday, and a bit more every month. Food – Outside of cronic or terminal diseases – At least 80% of our health issues can be corrected with a better diet. Again, don’t go crazy, just start.
- Manage Energy – When I started managing my week by my personal energy cycle, as opposed to my schedule, I found an immediate improvement in my production, and focus. Step one, plan your week, not your year. Step two, guard your most energetic and focused hours for your most significant, impactful tasks. Step three, use your calendar to manage tasks, projects, energy, family and professional appointments. Calendar everything as opposed to another task or project management tool. Step four, honor your energy and calendar as if it were your life on the line. And Step five, when you hit the wall, take a 10 minute power nap. It’ll change your life!
- Meditation – My meditation routine starts every morning with the 5 Minute Journal. It will ask the same series of questions every day. It will remind you to start with what you are grateful for. And then help you get focused on your day. Then He Reads Truth. Scripture, commentary, and short response. Quietude for centering my mind, my heart, and my attitude on all the Divine has in store for my day. Prayer – out loud and with intentionality on the day ahead and the folks I love and shepherd. This meditation routine is about 15 minutes, 5 days a week.
- Attitude – I know it sounds pretty ethereal, but choosing to be grateful, settled, centered, and focused is unbelievably powerful. To determine each morning that the Divine has your day, your challenges and your relationships in His grasp. Trust Him and enjoy every single day! If you need help with this, email me!
- Margin – Build time into your energy and calendar for Divine interruptions, space to breath, and room for personal growth. Margin builds your day into segments of energy like interval training for elite athletes.
Each of these are at different levels in my personal development. I’m far from achieving success in my daily Grind, but I am determined to stay this course. As each week passes, the commitment to consistent improvement grows stronger.
Please know that I have so far to go, so much to improve, and so far to go on this journey. If you’re not completely satisfied with your energy, productivity, relationships, attitude, or health, join me as we learn to turn the soul loose and dance.