A Nation of Haters by AChuckALLEN
I read the following statistics in one of my favorite newsletters from Dr. Jim Denison. In the stats, one significant truth leaps off of the page. That stat? That we are nation that is not only radically divided, but we are a country that is rapidly growing in hate.
A recent survey found that 61 percent of Democrats view Republicans as “racist/bigoted/sexist”; 31 percent of Republicans feel the same way about Democrats. Fifty-four percent of Democrats consider Republicans to be “ignorant”; 49 percent of Republicans feel the same way about Democrats. And 44 percent of Democrats consider Republicans to be “spiteful”; 54 percent of Republicans feel this way about Democrats.
“Only 4 percent of each party consider the other party to be “fair.” Three percent of Democrats and 4 percent of Republicans consider the other party to be “thoughtful.” Two percent of Democrats and 3 percent of Republicans consider the other party to be “kind.”
In 1958, 33 percent of Democrats wanted their daughters to marry a Democrat; 25 percent of Republicans wanted their daughters to marry a Republican. In 2016, 60 percent of Democrats and 63 percent of Republicans felt that way.
Why is our political culture so vehemently divided? Is there anything we can do to change the vitriol of our day?“
If you are over 50 years of age, you might be tempted to think that this is generational and it must be those “millinneials.” If you are under 40 years of age, you might think that the problem must be the old guard. If you are under 30 years of age, you might think that it’s our time to fix this mess. And if you are under 20 years of age, you might actually have the guts to change this mess. All of that rant is simply my beliefs, but seriously…We are on the edge of implosion as a nation that is theoretically “Under God.”
Here are four ways that I think each of us can contribute to the solution of this nation of growing haters:
- Stop taking any source of national news as truth. Please note that I said ANY SOURCE. If you lean right, Fox News is gospel. If you lean left, CNN is gospel. Instead of commentary, find the simple facts and ask the Lord of all Creation for wisdom to know the difference.
- Engage the people in your spheres of influence and relationships with positive talk about what is good in this world, in your world and in the present moment. My grandmother was on point when she said, “if you don’t have anything good to say, it’s your fault.”
- Go do good work! Help serve hungry people. Mentor marginalized kids and families. Give your time to worthy and honorable charities. Prop up and join organizations, churches, schools and businesses that are attempting to make the world a better and safer place, without postering for political camera time.
- Start your day with gratitude. Nothing will change your attitude, conversations and actions more than sincere gratitude. I start every single day by writing down three things that I am grateful for right in that moment. They aren’t often lofty or benevolent, but they are sincere. And by the way, my gratitude is always pointed to the one that provides me life that day.
- Go change the part of this world that you can influence for good.
- Don’t grow weary in doing good.
- Please don’t get sucked into the vortex of negative, hate-filled speech.
- Determine to make your day awesome, regardless of the rest of the world’s fights.