Are you a rule follower? There are rule followers, who often are good rule makers. There are rule breakers, who are often good change agents, or just suffering from Acute Attention Deficit Oh Pretty Disease. I am a rule bender. More of a guidelines kind of guy. Always have been. The best way to motivate me is to tell me, “you can’t do that,” or “nobody’s ever done it that way before.” If you are a rule follower or rule maker, people like me drive you crazy! Here’s the good news, we probably don’t care!
On The CLIMB, you need both. There are seasons in life’s climbs when you really, really need to break a few assumptions, rules, and directives to get where you are going. AND, there are seasons that you must know the rules, adhere to them, and embrace them.
When I was on the Appalachian Trail, we made a few choices on the campsites we stopped at. Sometimes we stayed where there was a designated site, and other times we stayed where we knew it was best for us. We need rules, and we need radicals.
The CLIMB isn’t for the faint of heart. It can suck the life out of you. Our lives are overwhelmed by external factors that can push us to our limits. They include but are never limited to Cancer, Heart Disease, Aging Parents, Strong-Willed or Rebellious Children, Finances, Marriage, Relationships, Careers. On and on they attack us with a ferocity to rival a bear awakened from a winter’s hibernation.
How can you know when to break the rules, and follow the rules? Here are a few tips to help you answer that question, for your CLIMB.
- What rules of nature, Scripture, the character of the Divine, decency, and righteousness are in place. Am I confident that I know the root and creator of the rule? Example: I want to call that person out on that! Rules: Jesus’ splinter and log teaching. Paul’s one another teaching. Scripture’s let nothing come out of our mouth that is not helpful teaching. Know the rules and the rule creator, and you have the answer.
- Who determined that you can’t do it that way? Why has nobody that you know done this already? Why are you supposed to try that? Example: I want to step out in faith. I want the courage to CLIMB. Radicals: Jesus came with a message never before heard or comprehended. Saul went from terrorist to Paul the Preacher. What? The message of the Gospel is adventurous, challenging, gutsy, and life-altering. Break this world’s cultural correctness rules and get radical.
- In what areas of your life do you need to know the rules better?
- In what area of your life do the rules need to be embraced and followed?
- In what areas of your life do you need to step out of your comfort zone and break the rules like a radical?
Now, start using the Daily Productivity Plan from yesterday’s BLOG and get your Rules and Radicals in gear! Get your CLIMB on and conquer your mountain today.
Trust your heart. Trust your gut and get after it with GRIT!