After years of ministry leadership, I finally answered the call to serve as the Lead Pastor at Sugar Hill Church 7 years ago. I’ve learned a ton over that time period, but here are the 7 that have had a significant impact and change in my life:
- If you’ve been asked to lead, lead! But lead like a servant if you want anybody to follow.
- If the goal is for everyone to love you, like you or appreciate you, change the goal.
- If you are exhausted and burned out, it’s your own fault.
- If you are finding it hard to be grateful for what you have, you’ll never have more.
- If you want a great ministry, go minister to people greatly.
- If your spouse or family start to resent the church you serve, pivot in a hurry. You are light years from balanced. And, by the way, there is no such thing as balance. Take this most seriously!
- If your singular goal is to get more people in the building rather than more people serving in your community, do some other line of work.
Just for the record…I love our church and I am so grateful that I am allowed the privilege to serve her.