4forFRIDAY with ACHUCKAllen 09.22.17
Each Friday I offer up at least 4 recommended reads, listens, learnings, gadgets or reviews. These are not necessarily faith-based or church-related but they each have encouraged or helped me in some way. I trust that they might do the same for you! Please feel free to leave your comments or share this 4forFRIDAY!
- A Really, Really Good Mexican Restaurant in Buford, GA: El Taco Jalisco
My good friend Bobby McGraw convinced me that this was the place to grab some solid Mexican food. The food is fresh, tasty, not over seasoned and just really great! Give this little dive next to the Exxon station a try and you’ll be glad you did!
- A Fun-Filled Evening at Lanier Raceplex
Me and my buddy, Rusty went to Lanier Raceplex and had a blast. This old racetrack has a paved race track winding through the infield and go-karts that feel like you are flying. He beat me handily, three out of three races, as I put my kart in the wall a few times! This is some old school fun!
- A Film that Most Dudes will Enjoy: Seal Team Six: The Raid on Osama Bin Laden
It’s not going to win any Oscars, but the story told is compelling and life-like. If like me, you enjoy a good war movie every now and then, you’ll dig this 2012 film. When the rumored whereabouts of Osama bin Laden are revealed, the CIA readies a team of seasoned U.S. Navy SEALs for the mission of a lifetime. Despite inconclusive evidence that bin Laden is inside the compound, and ignoring the possible ramifications of an unannounced attack on Pakistani soil, the Pentagon orders the attack. The SEAL Team bands together to complete their mission of justice in a riveting final showdown.
- An Awesome Short Read: Janitor Turned CEO Just Identified the Key to Building a Great Organization. Here It Is in 1 Word
Corey E. Thomas grew up in Georgia, the son of a self-taught electrician and a secretary. He credits his parents and humble background for shaping his work ethic and values, qualities that helped him work his way up to the chief executive position of Rapid7, a corporate network security company that serves nearly half of the Fortune 1000. Every leader should read this exceptional article.
And a Bonus Read from General Colin Powell
General Colin Powell’s Rules:
1. It ain’t as bad as you think. It will look better in the morning.
2. Get mad, then get over it.
3. Avoid having your ego so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego goes with it.
4. It can be done!
5. Be careful what you choose. You may get it.
6. Don’t let adverse facts stand in the way of a good decision.
7. You can’t make someone else’s choices. You shouldn’t let someone else make yours.
8. Check small things.
9. Share credit.
10. Remain calm. Be kind.
11. Have a vision. Be demanding.
12. Don’t take counsel of your fears or naysayers.
13. Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.rights of man come not from the generosity of the state, but from the hand of God.”