HOW NOW SHALL WE LIVE by AChuckAllen
I read a book by that title years ago. It was written by Chuck Colson. At the time that I read it, I had a difficult time trying to wrap my pride-filled soul around his thesis. At 58 and experiencing some of the worst of this life, and some of the blessed moments of this life, I offer my best version of the question, How Now Shall We Live, as a Follower of Jesus in 2018? It’s short, but then I truly don’t believe that the Divine has made it that hard.
How Now Shall We Live, as a Follower of Jesus in 2018?
- Let us be found guilty of being gracious people, that lay our pitchforks down and replace them with an olive branch.
- Let us be found guilty of forgiving what seems to be unforgivable, knowing that if we are to be forgiven, we are to forgive.
- Let us be guilty of helping the wrong way occasionally in the constant effort to help and help even more.
- Let us be found guilty of worship that is too loud, too honest, too excited and too passionate for the self-righteous to enjoy it!
- Let us be too giving and too generous to recognize that our hands were created to live openly.
- Let us love the unlovable, pray for the wicked and never think too much of ourselves to realize that we are both.
- Let us serve the least of these, and never, ever believe in our hearts that we are above serving. Greatness is found in the action and attitude of serving the least of these.
How now shall we live? With far less religion, and far more Jesus. This world couldn’t care less about the pomp and circumstance, found in religious dogma or tradition. This world wants to know if Jesus can really change our hearts, attitudes, and actions to the degree that we have been changed.
Go in Peace,