Sorry – I couldn’t resist a Charlton Heston Ten Commandment Pic! And for those of you that are already offended, please just stop here.
My Ten Commandments by AChuckAllen
I was listening to one of my favorite speakers and authors the other day when she tells the story of her live interview with Oprah Winfrey. I put Oprah’s last name there because there are so many Oprah’s out there. Gretchen Ruben is a fascinating person. I’ve never met her, but I always feel a bit smarter after reading her work. This particular listen was one of my favorites. I’ve listened to it three times and I’ve read her study that supports her keen thoughts.
In that article, she suggests that we all need to write our commandments. My take on her article is that these Commandments are – Those things that we are resolved to be, become, or improve. Those things that guide our decisions, lighten our load and cease to snag us with the jagged edge of comparison, shame, and unmet expectations.
With that in mind, here are my first FIVE COMMANDMENTS. I write regarding my second five tomorrow.
- Be the Real Chuck. There is such peace and freedom once you determine that you have been created to be you. To be the very best you. The Divine made no mistakes when He crafted the real you. The only one worthy of your total dedication and emulation is Jesus Himself. Go ahead and be the very, very best you!
- Never Stop Learning. I know so many folks that parked their brains on the sidewalk of age, lazy minds and excuses. There is always something to learn, even if it’s what not to do! Once you surrender your willingness to learn, you’ve surrendered your right to lead.
- Choose Gratitude over Desire Every Single Day. I am the kind of person that can be so driven to achieve and win that I can completely forget how much the Lord has already handed to me. When we choose gratitude, our attitudes reflect joy and peace. When we are chasing the next great “thing,” we tend to abuse relationships and make selfish choices.
- Remember that I am Here to Serve, Not to be Served. Nobody wants to follow an egocentric, crazed, power-hungry pastor that thinks they have arrived. I’ve been that guy – WHAT A JERK!
- Meditate Daily – No Really, Meditate Daily! Nothing has changed the trajectory of my life – IN EVERY FACET OF MY LIFE – like prioritizing a time of Daily Meditation. For me, that includes the following, in this order:
- Gratitude – Start the day with gratitude and write it down.
- Scripture Reading – Brief selections that are part of a reading plan. They are available on You Version, He Reads Truth, or She Reads Truth or any number of plans available. Keep it simple and keep it consistent.
- Study. Search for the context and words found in that reading.
- Write a Declaration for Your Day. This morning, my declaration read: “Today, I am choosing to remain focused on my tasks without time delays or rabbit trails.”
- Pray. Pray in gratitude. Pray for wisdom. Pray for my wife and family. Pray for folks on my prayer list. Pray for the folks on my calendar that day. Pray for financial peace, relational wisdom, a soft heart, and thicker skin.
- Listen. This is my hiccup. Listening is a not quite learned skill for me. I have proven that if we will hush, He has a lot to share. And yes, I am in awe that the Creator chooses to chat with me!
Go in Peace Today,